Deadline: November 3, 2023
Applications are open for the Our Shared Ocean – Mobility and Travel Grants 2023. The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) though Ireland’s development cooperation programme, Irish Aid, and the Marine Institute (MI) have established a new programme called ‘Our Shared Ocean’ to support research, knowledge exchange and capacity building in partnership with Small Island Developing States (SIDS). The programme will run until December 2026 with a total investment of €3.8 million funded by the DFA, and administered by the MI.
The Mobility and Travel Grants 2023 is one of a suite of competitive calls under the Our Shared Ocean Programme that will address specific ocean, climate and sustainable blue economy related challenges faced by SIDS; support the building of scientific and technical capacity to address such challenges; and promote the exchange of knowledge and expertise between Irish institutions and their counterparts in SIDS to underpin longer-term cooperation.
Grant support is provided in the following categories:
- Research Conferences and Workshops: for undergraduate and postgraduate students and early-stage researchers from eligible SIDS to present their marine research to audiences at international events. The aim is to network with international marine experts and disseminate their research on the global stage.
- Training Courses: for researchers from eligible SIDS to undertake short training courses in a topic that is beneficial to their marine research. Examples include, but are not limited to, statistics courses, data processing, sampling methodologies, laboratory analyses, commercialisation of research, etc.
- Research Visits: of up to one calendar month for researchers from eligible SIDS to visit Ireland (or from Ireland to eligible SIDS) in order to exchange knowledge, test new technology, train on research methodologies, etc. The aim is to allow mobility of research expertise for the bilateral transfer of knowledge in science and technology towards the development of the marine sector, and to establish international networks between Ireland/SIDS for potential leveraging of marine funding.
- Research Conferences and Workshops: Minimum grant-aid €500 and maximum grant-aid €2,000.
- Training Courses – Minimum grant-aid €500 and maximum grant-aid €2,000.
- Research Visits – Maximum grant-aid available €6,000.
- Open to Small Island Developing States (SIDS) in the Caribbean, Pacific and AIMS (Africa, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean and South China Sea).
Before you begin your application, read the application guidelines. Applications should be made via the Marine Institute’s online portal Research Information Management System (RIMS).
- If you are already registered on RIMS, click here.
- To register as a new user, email [email protected] with a password request. Include details of your organisation.
For more information, visit Our Shared Ocean Grants.